salmon creek logo Salmon creek address
back home
Disciplines
Club History
Calendar of Events
Image Gallery
Newsletter
Membership Application
Friendly Links
NSCA logo
US FLAG
Club's Brochure || Club Poster || Contact Info & Request Info || Directions ||
Club History
combo
Nestled in the fertile farmland valley between the Owasco and Cayuga Finger Lakes, midway between Ithaca and Auburn, 30 miles west of Syracuse, 45 miles east of Rochester, stands the: Salmon Creek Sportsmen’s Club.In the Early 50’s, a group of men, hunters, farmers and businessmen, got together to form a Sportsmen’s Club.
Property was purchased on the Scipio/Venice Town Line Road to promote and sponsor Hunting and Trap Shooting and to aid in the preservation of birds, fish and game.
The club was named Salmon Creek Sportsmen’s Club. and was formally incorporated in July 1955. The land is located on Big Salmon Creek in Cayuga County, NY, and had been formally owned by the Saxton Family of Venice Center, NY. This property had a large pond on it through which the Salmon Creek flowed. In the late 1800’s and early 1900’s, during the winter months ice was cut from the pond and loaded aboard the “New York Auburn to Lansing Railroad Company” aka Auburn to Ithaca Short Line. The tracks were located on a dike, built by the railroad company on the western edge of the pond. This railroad bed is now the western trail of our Sporting Clays course.
During the late 50’s and early 60’s the Club went out of operation. In 1967 a group of people got together and rebuilt the original cement building (windows, doors & porch), installed a kitchen and built a new trap field.
Throughout the 70’s and 80’s Salmon Creek was known as a Trap Shooting Club.
In 1994, with the help of many of volunteers, land which formally had been part of the pond was cleared and the Club’s Sporting Clays course was born.
Along with the Clays came a complete renovation of the inside of the Club House. Hardwood tung & groove boards are on the walls and cathedral ceiling. A large stone fireplace graces the north wall along with many of Trap League trophies and plaques won over the years.
A second trap field was added for the use during the trap leagues.
Early Spring of 2000 discussion began about the need for a Five Stand - something for the shooters to do while waiting to go out on the clays course. Again, a group of interested people stepped forward and with generous financial donations and lots of physical labor the Five Stand and Skeet Fields were built.
2004, we now have 2 Trap Fields, 1 has a new “WOBBLE” Trap which was installed in 2003.
The Skeet Field located within the Five (5) Stand. Our Five (5) Stand has a total of 9 traps involved in the 25 bird menu.
The Sporting Clays course is set with a 50 bird menu and has 20 plus stations to shoot from, many with multiple stands.
A new 40’ Tower was installed Febuary 2004. The Five (5) Stand or Wobble Trap makes a perfect spot for a Warm- up prior to going out to the Sporting Clays course.
Our Club House offers some of the best food you will find in any of our area Gun Clubs.
Breakfast served every Sunday, 8:AM till 11:AM.
Lunch served during all of our League or Tournament Shoots.
Web Design by CorpoCuisine